Sunday, August 25, 2013

Stressed Spelled Backwards Is...

Desserts! (trust me, we will get to that later, but first the stress!)

School started for the teachers, administrators and staff in our district this week.  It has been a wonderfully lazy summer and I was so ready to see my school "family".  With that  comes my OCD need to please everyone.  I take the t-shirts, games, and prizes way too seriously.  All in all everyone enjoyed them and no one showed up at convocation topless - yea me!

The week went by really smoothly.  We even had a keynote speaker that told us what we were doing right!  Gotta love that.  Then Friday rolled in like my mama's old pressure cooker. It had a job to do even if it blew up the place in the process.  Proceed with caution! Every time I turned around, I had a new student ( I even got a new student as I was walking to the parking lot AFTER Meet the Teacher Friday night.)  Where do they come from? This seems to be happening in epidemic proportions in our schools this year.  Our teachers are troopers and the utmost professionals.  Basically-we rock! This is just one of those years and I know that it will all work out - it always does.  I just want it worked out already.

All of the lack of control found me in nesting mode Saturday. So up at the crack of dawn, I was off to tackle Wal-Mart.  Yes, by this point, I had probably lost my mind.  I was home by 8:30 and determined to make a week's worth of HEALTHY lunches.  I may need to explain that when teachers are given a week of inservices, they will generally eat out every single day and not make the healthiest of choices.  I whipped up a batch of gazpacho and a grilled veggie couscous salad.  The kitchen was clean, laundry done, and house spotless by 3:00. Yea me!


The gazpacho is easy, just put all of those veggies in your food processor and let 'er rip! Then I season with a little balsamic, salt and pepper.

For the Couscous salad with grilled veggies, I prepare the couscous according to the directions on the package only I add a veggie bouillon cube.

Next, grill your favorite veggies.  I used 2 zuchinni, 2 red onion, and 2 red bell peppers. After slicing, I seasoned with salt and pepper and brushed with olive oil.



 After the veggies are cooled enough to handle, chop and toss! 
 
Voila! Lunches are ready!

Feeling a little cocky, I did my nails and got caught up on the DVR.  My euphoria was short lived when the hubs woke up in the middle of the night with bronchitis!  I love my macho man, but illness of any type can transform him into the neediest creature I have ever seen.  So I did what any loving wife would do... I drugged him up, went to church, came home redosed him so that I could write this blog before I ride this summer off into the sunset.

Now for the best part- DESSERT! You can't have all of those healthy (but yummy) lunch items and leave out a sweet treat.  I mixed up a quick batch if snickerdoodle bar cookies.  Bobby ate three before he realized that snickerdoodles do not contain Snickers candy bars :)

These are insanely delicious and easy (bonus - your home will smell AMAZING!)
 
Snickerdoodle Bars
preheat oven to 350, grease a 9X13 pan
soften 1 cup butter
let 2 large eggs come to room temp.
using a mixer, cream butter and add 2 cups of brown sugar, eggs, and 1 tablespoon of vanila
in a seperate bowl combine: 2&2/3 cups AP flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt
Add dry ingrediets to butter mixture and spread into the prepared pan
before baking, sprinkle with a mixture of 1/4 cup white sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, allow to cool slightly before cutting
 
Love and Hugs!
Puddin'

No comments:

Post a Comment