Sunday, October 13, 2013

Forty Two is More Fun Than a Game of Dominoes

I am not one of those people who dread birthdays as they get older. In fact, it's just the opposite.  I still look forward to and get just as excited about my birthday as I did when I was a kid.  The days slowly creep along until October 11 finally arrives and tahdah!  I am older!  What a miracle!

I thoroughly enjoy each card, greeting, and hug.  Birthdays are the best when you work at an elementary school because the kids are just as excited as you are.  Their precious offerings of drawings, cards and songs send me over the moon.

I suppose a few things have changed.  I no longer present my family with a list a mile long of outrageous requests of presents and parties.  In fact, I find myself wanting to simplify and missing most what I used to take for granted.  If I had it to do over again, this is how my birthday list would read:

1. the EARLY morning phone call from Mama, my great grandmother reminding where she was "__" years ago.  At the hospital waiting on me.  Mama was always the first to wish me Happy Birthday. 

2. being serenaded by my granddaddy.  His version of "Happy Birthday" was the only song he ever sang.

3. Nanny's chocolate cake with seven minute icing.

These are the gifts I treasure now and miss the most. 

This year was absolutely perfect!  I left school in birthday bliss and picked out my own cake and then picked up some steaks and went home and cooked for my most favorite people -my family!  Yes, I cooked my birthday dinner.  To some that may sound strange, but it's what I love to do.  Then some girlfriends came over, we had more cake, and watched "Say Yes to the Dress" & "What Not to Wear".  (Providing our own sugar-induced commentary of course)

Birthdays to some are just another day. To others they are a day to dread. To me they are a day to celebrate.  With all that is going on in this world, the fact that you are here another year is a miracle. 

In the words of Brother Grady, my beloved pastor, "We're all gonna die." So we might as well get out and enjoy life especially birthdays!

Love & Blessings! (and Birthday Cake)
Puddin'

Mama, me, & Dutch on my 5th birthday.


this is my take on steak and potatoes...
Birthday Steak and Fries
go to a GOOD BUTCHER if you have one and have them cut you a 11/2"-2" rib eye
let it sit to room temperature and rub it with kosher salt and pepper and olive oil on both sides  (it's a good cut of beef so it shouldn't need anything else)
heat your grill on high and then turn to med high
grill steaks for 5-6 min per side or desired doneness
DO NOT LEAVE ON GRILL UNATTENDED
allow steaks to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing

fries:
preheat oven to 425
1 russet potato per person
slice with a food processor or mandolin
soak in water for 10 minutes and dry thoroughly
toss with olive oil, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper
lay in one layer on a sprayed sheet pan
bake 15 minutes and then turn and bake 10 minutes more

*Save Room For Cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment